Tuesday, March 23, 2010

We made it to china!

We left for China Sat. March 20th. That morning was nothing but full of events. As we finished packing, cleaning and preparing, Eden woke up with red gunky eyes. We got her into the pediatrician and yep, she had pink eye and double ear infections. Not what you want to hear when you are getting on a plane for China in 8 hours. She got a shot and antibiotics and eye drops and ear drops. We then had a plugged toilet and as we were plunging it and trying to fix it, Mia came running upstairs telling me something and wanted me to come see. I told her to wait, we were busy and I would look later, then I realized she said "the light in the kitchen is raining"...and thought I should check it out. Sure enought, the light in the kitchen was raining...the light right below the toilet that was clogged. As I stood there with my sisters Heather and Michelle, I thought, this isn't what I want to see 8 hours before getting on a plane to China. Thankfully, we were able to use the home warranty and get a plumber out to the house. We made it to the airport with the help of my sisters, the Loudys and Heggartys and thankfully it was terminal 2, and the check in counters were literally right inside the door. The airline was actually notified as there was another family we were flying with and they have 5 kids, so they had called in extra help, and they helped with our 20 bags and 3 car seats. It did still take about an hour to check in though. Once we were checked in and through security, all went smoothly on all flights. Once we arrived in Dalian, we were the last to get off of the plane and go through customs and the last to get our luggage, along with the Davis family. As they were going through customs, we made it through and started taking the 52 checked bags off of the carousel. Eli was crying, so Matt was comforting him and as I was taking the bags off, it was nice that a group of Chinese people stood by and watched. I made muscles as I took each bag off and sucked in my stomach. After the Davis made it through and we got our luggage all separated, we got 6 carts for our bags and a bunch of carts for their bags. Then, how to get the carts through the check point. Thankfully we have 3 kids who each had to push a cart full of luggage. I laughed as I watched little Eden pushing a huge cart full of bags. What troopers they all were to help push the carts. Once we made it through the check point, then we met our driver and other helpers who immediately took over and our work was done. We made it to our temporary apartment until our townhouse is ready, which will be about April 8th. We walked through the schools they will be going to. We did some shopping, and got a lot of stares. Eden got her picture taken in one store. Eli and Eden had health checks and had to get their blood drawn. Eden asked if they were going to give the blood back. We had lunch at Pizza Hut...and I got a Starbucks:)!!! As I see how nice and helpful people have been, I definetly have gotten a peace about being here. God has been so faithful and answered many prayers!! Our driver is very friendly and speaks a little English. I even think he was a little nervous about his first day on the job. All is well!

5 comments:

  1. What great stories...I'm sure there will be many more to tell! I can't even imagine what this "new life" will be like for you guys. Good thing they have Pizza Hut and Starbucks...the Lord provides! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear more! I LOVE your writing Vicki...you always give me a chuckle. So use your talent while you are there, and keep us all filled in. There is a tiny little hole in my heart right now, saying, we should be be the other family there with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy that your trip went smoothly! Can't wait to hear about your future adventures. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear all went well! May your journey begin! It will be fun to watch your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK.....How come you never told me you had a blogspot??????? BTW I am glad you made it safe with some peace of mind:)

    ReplyDelete